Wednesday 21 May 2014

The Mission

This year, the churches of Manningtree held a Mission together. Early on, I was asked to be a part of the central publicity team in a design capacity with three others all with different skills to bring to the table. I was also asked to be in charge of the publicity specifically for my church.

I went into it, eyes open, knowing how much work it was going to be, but I don't think I realised quite how much I had done until the Mission ended this last Sunday, I spent most of Monday trying to send off one final design, and then couldn't get out of bed on Tuesday. Literally.

It has been, however, an amazing experience, and a delight to work as part of a team. It was really good to stay accountable and organised, and those parts which I did as part of the team were those I think went best.

The logo:
I had a lovely selection of photos of the sun over the river Stour thanks to a friend, and having twice design the front of the programme, I ended up using both of these photos variously for different projects. The logo itself seemed to work out pretty well, and ended up on just about everything.

The main programme:
I haven't had to design anything with so very much information on it before, so it was a real challenge, and a big exercise in restraint. It needed to be clean and readable, but also to somehow reflect the 'light' theme of the Mission. Over all, though having stared at it so long I may have now lost all perspective, I'm pretty pleased with it.

Fliers:


 When seen like this, I really am pretty pleased with how these turned out. And this isn't all of them!

Follow-up leaflet:
The follow-up leaflet needed to tie-in with the original programme, but it also needed to look different enough that people didn't think they had already seen it. I was really pleased that it worked in the same design scheme as the original programme as together, they really do look like part of a set.

Follow-up advert:
The follow-up also then went in to the local paper as an advert. It needed a reasonable amount of redesigning to make it fit, plus another course had to be fitted it, and then needed its colour enhanced for newspaper print quality.

I'm so glad that I was a part of this. It was an amazing thing to be involved with, and I realised yet again how much I love seeing my work in print. It's one thing to print it yourself, but it's quite another to open a box and discover four-hundred copies of something you did. I can't recommend it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment